It’s true — good things do come in small packages. These decadent muffins are bursting with rich festive flavors and packed with ingredients that benefit your oral and overall health. Now that’s a gift that keeps on giving!
Bananas. Packed with potassium, bananas can help your body build strong teeth and bones.
Oats. Promote healthy gut bacteria with fiber-rich oats.
Pecans. The calcium and magnesium in pecans can reduce inflammation.
2½ ripe bananas, mashed
2 large egg whites
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup dark chocolate chips
½ cup pecans
⅓ cup eggnog
⅓ cup sugar
¼ cup old-fashioned oats
2 tablespoons softened butter
3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 325° F and line your muffin in your preferred liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar using a hand mixer or stand mixer for a minute and a half or until it’s pale white and fluffy.
3. Add egg whites, bananas, applesauce, vanilla and eggnog to mixture.
4. Beat until mixture is well combined.
5. In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
6. Slowly add dry mixture to wet mixture, lightly beating until just combined.
7. Gently add in chocolate chips and pecans.
8. Evenly pour batter into muffin tins. Leave one-quarter of an inch of room for the muffin top.
9. Bake for 30 minutes or until you can poke a muffin with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
This recipe makes 12 standard muffins or 6 jumbo muffins.