The flavors of fall have never tasted this good — or this healthy! Your new favorite dessert is a no-sugar-added, gluten-free and vegan twist on a classic staple of autumn treats.
Apples. The key ingredient in this recipe, apples, is packed with vitamin C for healthy gums.
Bananas. The potassium in bananas strengthens teeth and lends a smoother texture to your crumble.
Walnuts. Rich in iron, which is essential for healthy teeth and gums, walnuts add a hearty flavor.
1 large banana, thinly sliced
2 large apples, chopped
2 dates, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 ounce of walnuts, crushed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a small baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place sliced banana, apples and dates in a medium-size bowl.
3. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and lemon juice. Toss until fruit is evenly coated.
4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the fruit starts to bubble.
In one medium-size bowl, combine rolled oats with applesauce, walnuts, vanilla extract and salt, and mix well with a spoon.
Assemble the crumble
1. Top the baked filling mixture evenly with the crumble topping.
2. Return the baking dish to the oven and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the oats are slightly golden and crisp.
3. Let the apple crumble cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm. Enjoy!